črypto is finished... and it's about time × (also: 'Balrog' malnet, firsthand view)

Tim Beelen tim at diffalt.com
Tue Jun 16 12:36:08 PDT 2015

In theory.

Let's come down to the realm of things we run into in the wild.

Figments of theory-crafting because someone thought of a certain attack
vector is not what anyone concerned about real life issues considers a
threat.

It's an academic exercise.

If you want to theory-craft, expand on the RSA infiltration.
Pre-computed elliptic curves seem to be the next forefront. Are the
capabilities of agencies up to par with what we know and throw at them.
Brute-forcing is, after all, anyone's game.

I'd like people to look into the intellectual wasteland that is the
mobile phone industry. Those are vectors that the intelligence community
has about full control over. Not your dumb-ass VGA card.

I simply don't get why people that own a phone worry about things that
are not even remotely proven to be an actual issue.