Best practice for safe viewing of PDFs posted to list

Seth list at sysfu.com
Wed Jun 10 13:50:22 PDT 2015

Links to PDFs are not uncommon on this list but I never feel good about
opening them up.

Is the advice in this 2010 article still relevant? [1]

...How can you protect yourself from their inherent vulnerabilities?
Hypponen suggests you completely avoid opening PDFs on your local machine,
instead viewing them through Google Docs. If you're using Chrome, Firefox,
or Opera, you can install the gPDF plug-in to automate the process for
web-based PDFs. For your local files, he suggests you "use a PDF reader
that's as unpopular as possible. The fewer users a product has, the less
attacks it will attract."...

I usually use an open source reader like muPDF on SumatraPDF in a VM, but
it's a hassle.

Curious if the advice given above is still relevant and also what other on
the list recommend for safe viewing of PDFs.

[1] http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362356,00.asp