Fwd: [Cryptography] Did Intel just execute its warrant canary ?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Tue Jun 9 21:03:09 PDT 2015

On 10/06/15 15:47, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> On 10/06/15 14:41, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>> OOOhhhhhHHH nice.
>>
>> One of these days someone's going to figure out the encoding method
>> and private keys of all those keystrokes in various blockchains
>> that were broadcast by GPU-mining malware.
>>

>> Now if I take my paranoia hat off and put on my 'scam the investors'
>> hat, I'd say the only thing the DMCA will be used for is to provide
>> plausible deniability that Intel just hired some AMD/Nvidia engineers
>> and they keep using the same code they've been writing since the SGI
>> days and just slap an Intel copyright on the output.
>>
>> Besides, if you wanted to hid malware on an intel chip, you could
>> easily hide it here, no GPU needed.
>> https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/xeon-processor-7.png
>>
>> There are probably at least 3 debug interfaces in the chip for which
>> the only good documentation exists in the Mossad, NSA, and Chinese
>> intelligence offices.
>
> See this as well, no need to be Mossad, NSA, ...
> https://www.shodan.io/search?query=HTTP%2F1.1+Active+Management+Technology
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology#Known_vulnerabilities_and_exploits

BTW, every single CPU on this planet has a JTAG[1] port (or equivalent),
so with physical access to the hardware you can install persistent
backdoor on virtually any CPU/GPU/MCU/RAM/ROM/FPGA/CPLD/DSP/..., and yes
the NSA did it: https://blog.pjhoodsco.org/nsa-device-godsurge/

Krys

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Test_Action_Group