cypherpunks Digest, Vol 24, Issue 6

Softy softservant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:39:17 PDT 2015

​Oh, no denying the over-generalizing of my usage of "Society", but the
point is plain, and valid.  We have a method of laws (aka Society - not
only regarding it's application of Power)​ which we live under.  If raising
a Child means empowering/guiding that person to have a healthy
understanding of Themselves, Others, Institutions, etc, one must provide an
example - as Guide.

RE: Native Peoples, yes, they did the same thing.  My child [5] can safely
walk to the park and back in the over-urbanized environment we live because
we've provided him the space to learn how to do so; neighbourhood walks,
back-woods treks, etc.  Would I trust him to be okay going to the
city-core?  Neither would a Native People have let their child go on a
similarly arduous trek.  The scale/surroundings are different, the means
and ends are the same:  Teach Independence while providing a reasonably
sheltered environment to learn that Independence.

By providing Supervision on his learning, he did so.  The State/Parents do
not need to squash all his attempts, nor can Parents/State be divorced from
his efforts.  Do we laws dictating "Child shall be no more than x feet from
home unattended" ... clearly not, perhaps cases such as the Free Range
Parenting will spur the creation of those laws from the pro-Nanny crowd.

That is my usage of "Society" - more narrow than the put-upon
extrapolations of the gallery; which were perhaps teased out by my over
generalized usage earlier ... but, hey, what's Intertube proselytizing with
out some trolling.