Pre-emptive content index

Zenaan Harkness zen@freedbms.net
Sat Jun 27 19:27:09 PDT 2015

For quite some years, I never watched any youtubes - then there was a
Java-based website which could download them, but it was cumbersome.

Then there was youtube-dl, and now youtube is starting to head towards
reasonable by my standards, or rather, a reasonable protocol for
"consuming" content - pre-emptive local storage of everything.

This is a principle upon which I view/read anything - nothing
in-browser, no in-browser media players, certainly no flash plugins,
no in-browser PDF viewing etc. I apply the same to code - if I can't
download the source and compile it myself (which sometimes/ often
enough I don't do, but at least I can), then I won't touch it.

So if I've read something I personally considered worthy of the price
of my human attention, it exists somewhere on my local storage.

I call this pre-emptive since I always consistently download the
content before ever reading, listening or viewing (/"consuming" -
sounds like a base description, belittling we humans).

In a "perfect" world, all articles, all content is indexed with git,
or in a git-compatible way, providing enhanced possibilities for
caching, verifying, indexing, retrieval, duplication/ backup, and
sharing and synchronizing with fellow private net sharers. As this
concept and its implementation become pervasive, some publishers would
take advantage of it as a form of compression to reduce publishing
bandwidth requirements (somewhat analogous to torrents, but with
greater integrity of the data being distributed).

"As Tim O'Reilly says, my problem is not piracy, it's obscurity"
creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7774

Our true coin is our human attention - the ticket to  relevance ->
visibility -> popularity -> ubiquity ,  is the 'free will' choices
that fellow humans make in 'spending' their human attention, their
'life energy', upon that which you create/ publish/ wish to see
manifest into the world. Choose wisely fellow humans, both in your
attempts to shift the attention-spending of others and in your own
attention-spending.

---
I imagine the following:
- A browser plugin, let's call it "Pre-emptive Content Plugin" for
now, which is configured with a data store/directory location for the
browser cache. It's a --bare git repo.
- Each item of content is added, and caching rules are applied on top of that.
- The plugin causes the browser ui/chrome to display (or provide a
shortcut for) "this is important to me" buttons/links/keyboard
shortcuts, which function tells the browser git cache that this
content is to be kept 'permanently' for offline viewing/
synchronization/ backup/ etc.
- A similar ui/chrome element "Hot" informs the plugin that this data/
frame/ page/ website is especially contentious, needing duplication
into the "Pre-emptive Private Net Data Cache for Hot Content", to be
thereafter Striesanded to the world.

etc

Basically, industrializing/ commoditizing content care, custodianship
and distribution.

Zenaan