Open Fabs

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:42:02 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM, The Doctor <drwho at virtadpt.net> wrote:
> On 07/30/2015 01:32 AM, oshwm wrote:
>> would a pre-internet era set of IC's and components kick-start the
>> process a little without losing too much trust? Use slow old IC's
>> in parallel to gain something usable :)
>
> Something like this?
> http://cpuville.com/
> http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
> Or maybe something like this, seeing as how we really can't trust
> anything integrated as the microscopic level or smaller?
> http://6502.org/users/dieter/mt15/mt15.htm

Those are close and would certainly be a goalpost in the
rebuild. You might be able to trust logic gates
because you can exhaustively test their logic. On the
other hand, how do you know that once you connect enough
of them to each other that their secret gates inside don't sense
each other and activate? Since you're that close to stone age anyway,
why not start one more step back at relays and core memory.

It's like trying to validate a 256 bit blackbox hash function someone
gives you... sure, their supplied test vectors may all pass, but you have
no idea or way to test what happens when you start pushing real data
through the secret instructions. You simply can't test all the possible
data combinations so you have to throw their box back in the snakeoil.

> Hell, why don't we just start building DCPU-16's and bootstrap from there?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0x10c

That's too complex, and the first one pre-exists so it's chicken and egg.