William Friedman's 1955 Crypto AG visit reports draft and final redactions

Steven Schear schear.steve at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 08:49:56 PDT 2015

During the early 90s I worked at Cylink, a Crypto AG competitor. We too
received a NSA visit about weakening products sold to certain clients
(e.g., so-called narco-terrorists). I and the other directors were told of
this (because we had legal responsibilities and liabilities) at a meeting.
I assume we made the changes requested (e.g., weakening the RNG to NSA
specifications). The special units were sold through a selected distributor
in Louisiana (probably also a NSA contractor).