Open Fabs

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:59:13 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:
> I do see problems with scaling DYI chip projects up to commercial
> production numbers, and down in scale to achieve fast, high
> capacity performance.

It's not DIY. It's many similarly thinking Y's coming together to DI.
Eventually you'll reach beyond any given initial fledgling "hobby
class" goalposts. Nothing unusual or unachievable there.

Since it's all been done before, how long to rebuild trustable compute
and manufacturing from trustable discretes like relays, punchtape,
and hand tools to 100nm? 5y? 10y?

> That's why I am much more interested in the
> prospects of a manufacturing process built for radical
> transparency, using "commercial best practice" technology

All part of it.

> at conventional production facilities.

Except this, unless you're demonstrating a way to convince these
untrustable closed entities to open up their entire process and
production line for your inspection pursuant to each and every
audited run you want to put through it. If you're not, then you
can't be certain that what you put in is what you get out.

> IMO the same kind of radical transparency should apply to all
> industrial processes that pose large potential hazards to public
> health & safety, i.e. nuclear power stations, transgenic
> agriculture, etc.

You should be able to read the as-built blueprints of
all of these things online, access all areas of plants for
independant inspection, raise enforceable design and safety
flags, etc.