another google nugget

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jul 29 07:06:40 PDT 2015

On 7/28/15 8:21 AM, bbrewer wrote:
>> On Jul 28, 2015, at 10:47 AM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
>>
>> is this mailinglist suddenly transformed to the libtech list? cypherpunks i
>> believe build their own infrastructure, they work on remailers, and other
>> related stuff. what the hell happened? can someone foia what the codeword for
>> operation "disrupt cypherpunks mailinglist" is?
>>
>> the mind boggles.
> I wanted to hit the ‘like’ button on this, but I couldn’t find it. My internet must be broken.
You do it like this: The original 'Like':
+1
And then everyone is supposed to notice and mentally tabulate the results.  Or your mail reader could track posts and do it for you,
but nobody ever did that.

> (I will agree hosting your own could be the way to go, however, running/admining your own box at home / work or hosted on a VPS each carry with them their own dangers of security, trust, yadda yadda).

I've run my own box on the Internet continuously since 1992.  But there is a payment history, it's been in the same location for 8
years, etc.  When I imagine a more secure (in certain senses) alternative, as least as an individual, it usually involves public
cloud services, perhaps in some ephemeral rotating basis way.  First you need to secure DNS, or some similar alternative, then...
Tor or similar helps for a certain class of usage, but then you're outside the normal Internet world.  Without interesting goals, no
point in interesting solutions other than knowing how to do interesting solutions and what their limitations are.  Which is a good
thing in and of itself.

> There is, as you state, a large difference between acknowledging these other options and their upsides/downsides, vs. simply not acknowledging their existence at all.
>
> Depressing.

sdw