True Crypt is Not Secure

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Tue Jul 28 18:34:07 PDT 2015

On 07/28/2015 07:22 PM, Seth wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:40:55 -0700, oshwm
> <oshwm at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> So is anyone working on building an 'openfab' or is it such
>> a big task that everyone just backs away in horror? :D
>
> My understanding is that the capital costs involved with
> building and operating a chip fabrication plant are
> astronomical, although the situation may be getting better.
> [1]
>
> [1]
> http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/design/the-new-economics-o
f-semiconductor-manufacturing

If

a market is willing to pay enough to support and grow the
project, it can be done.  Are there potential partners and large
scale consumers for "top security through total transparency" to
make an open hardware project viable today?

One potential route would be to broker a deal to pool the
resources of specialty hardware integrators who already have a
market base for high security "solutions."  The Open Office
project pulled off something similar years ago, obtaining major
funding and support from IBM and others who wanted Microsoft out
of their hair.  So, who wants a shot at defending some of their
digital assets from outfits like NSA and GHCQ, badly enough to pay
for it?

The first place I would start shopping this "crypto anarchist"
project around would be State security services - pretty much any
small to mid-sized outfit not in BRICS or FVEYE could be a
potential market for auditable scrambler phones for military
commanders, senior elected officials, diplomatic corps and
double-nought spies.  From there to high performance servers and
workstations would be a natural progression.

I haven't looked at how the Black Phone folks are doing lately,
but that looks like the kind of product line where open hardware
might find its first viable home.

Another consideration:  One needs not necessarily own the facility
where the chips are made:  ISO quality assurance programs already
in place support client access for audit and validation.  A
contract that specifies the client's intrusive presence during
every phase of production and handling would cost extra, but a QA
process that assumes the presence of hostile actors on the shop
floor is definitely possible.  Such a process would also be needed
at a dedicated facility:  One must assume the presence of hostile
actors there, too.

:o)

Steve