Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:46:33 PDT 2015

On 7/24/15, M373 <M373 at riseup.net> wrote:
> It's not a matter of credulity in believing that authorities would carry
> out such an assassination, the problem is asserting such an act without
> direct evidence. As I said, and as insider Richard Clarke said, it would
> be difficult to show.

this came up in a separate context, so thought experiment:

let's assume a rogue contractor, not US establishment in any official manner
 is our hypothetical malicious actor in this situation.

let's assume they acted to maximize effectiveness at the expense of
identifying characteristics.

let's construct a scenario for replay in situ to compare?
 dialed to MAX DEATH!
  [ not s t e a l t h . . . ]

---

2013 Mercedes, through MBRACE hack you attain
 full authority over:
 - Central Control Module (CCM)
 - Central Timing Module (CTM)
 - Electronic/engine Control Module (ECM)
 - Engine control unit (ECU)
 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
 - Transmission Control Module (TCM)
 - Speed control unit (SCU)
 - Brake Control Module (BCM or EBCM)
 - Vehicle Control Module (VCM) Electronic Powersteering (EPS)
 - General Electronic Module (GEM)
 - Body Control Module (BCM)
 - Suspension Control Module (SCM)
 - Telematic control unit (TCU)
 - Battery management system

begin attack!>>
0. ... delay tipping until target location, speed, orientation RDY ...
1. EBCM disable, zero halt
2. PCM fix in mid gear, prep to redline
3. ECM throttle position to maximum
4. VCM EPS to remote drive override, E.g. swerve to target
5. SCU, TCU monitor for rapid deceleration then, immediately:
 5a. ECM fuel pumps to max flow rate
 5b. GEM set all lights, indicators, fans, servos, etc. to ON
 5c. Battery management system destructively short discharge
 [ AKA, incendiary mode ]

now compare this collision with expected outcomes of human at the
wheel using normative controls.

best regards,
   codermange who love his '67 Chevy C20 long bed farm truck more each day :)