Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Fri Jul 24 13:38:13 PDT 2015

Without getting into the issue of whether patents encourage innovation..
I do think that medical devices are a special case. If you have a heart
implant, that thing needs to be "unhackable", but also totally
verifiably safe. So there should be firmware signing, no mutable state,
verifiable memory safety...but the code should be open source, and if
need be the firmware signing key for each device (needs to be different
for each device!) should be accessible by a legitimate owner.

So, no more remote-hackable heart implants, but doctors and cardiac
technicians can still apply critical patches and inspect the source for
sanity.

--
Scientific Director, IndieBio EU Programme
  Now running in Cork, Ireland May->July