an ominous comment

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Mon Jul 20 16:40:52 PDT 2015

On 07/20/2015 05:53 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> I hold multitudes.  I am in one thread totally cypherpunk, and
> have been for a very long time.  There are innumerable ways to
> compromise and be compromised for all kinds of good and mostly
> bad reasons. Perfect protection is tough for in many ways and
> we should keep striving to get closer to that ideal security
> stance.
>
> On the other hand, life is a balance.  I probably shouldn't
> have tried to make the point here, but it is something a
> security professional should understand well: The right amount
> of security should be moderated by the tradeoff of costs vs.
> overhead vs. maximizing benefit vs. minimizing loss.  Security
> stances change over time and aren't necessarily accurately
> reflected by paranoid absolutism.

Right you are, in "security" context is everything.  My take on
the Cypherpunk Way is, start with design concepts for maximum
security (!= absolute security), then trim the security
constraints back just enough to permit useful work to be done on a
cost effective basis.

This is vs. industry standard security, where one starts with no
security considerations at all, then adds just enough security to
cover the largest perceived (!= actual) threats from potential
adversaries.

Compare UNIX style OS architecture to MS style.  :)

> An example along these lines that I like to keep in mind: (I
> really did avoid writing down passwords anywhere for a long
> time.  And I still don't carry them with me.  If I did, they
> wouldn't be plaintext.)
>
> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/06/write_down_your.htm

I'm

a big fan of password management, as a special case in the
category of "A failed data backup may cost more than a successful
break-in."  Lots of luck getting "normal" users to make and use
more than two weak passwords, though.

:o/

Steve