an ominous comment

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Jul 18 04:39:45 PDT 2015

> Discussing security policy post-OPM debacle in a setting to which
> I have access (sorry to be oblique), it was said by a CxO "We have
> to prepare for the day when no software we depend on is run on
> premises."

Well, for one thing, it removes physical access to machines from
insiders on your end, and in many cases, also direct access to data,
particularly in its bulk form.

With conscious effort and the right resources, you might be able to
come with better security controls than the large service providers,
but right now, most organizations don't have much of an audit trail
for locally run services.  I'm not sure if moving data off premises
actually results in a net loss of control over it.  Note be cause the
service providers are so good at security, but because various factors
conspire to make almost everyone else so bad.