an ominous comment

Travis Biehn tbiehn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:26:11 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> > Everything will be run in the cloud and browser because it is, overall, a
> > better computation model.
>
> Certainly that's the current bias, but web  browser as platform isn't
> really all that it's cracked up to be, IMHO - all browsers suck, and I
> don't see them getting better any time soon, especially if they run
> javascript and plugins.
>
> >  However, that doesn't preclude you from running a
> > cloud locally.
>
> Certainly better than public/commercial clouds - at least until proven
> encryption becomes the norm.
>
> > Although pretty much proprietary to Google & Amazon until
> > recently, Docker et al and related VM/container management APIs that are
> > mappable to all kinds of implementations will allow apps, administration,
> > networking, etc. to be fluid between commercial and various types of
> private
> > clouds.
> >
> > In a lot of ways, this is an elegant solution and could arguably be much
> > more secure than desktop apps in Windows.  Assuming your container system
> > isn't running in Windows, which is becoming an option; one that I won't
> > trust easily.
>
> Eh - good sysadmins with good managers/policies can secure Windows
> just fine, though I do like jails under FreeBSD...
>
> Kurt

There's data, metadata and computation.

Homomorphic encryption is one part of the solution which fits in with least
priv / least authority software engineering.

Running your own infrastructure provides a false sense of security, anyway,
benefits over cloud are likely an illusion.

-Travis

--
Twitter <https://twitter.com/tbiehn> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/travisbiehn> | GitHub <http://github.com/tbiehn>