Bitcoin philosophical musings and pressures 7 years in [drifted from: txrate, forking, etc]

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sat Jul 11 07:34:01 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 01:33:33AM -0300, Juan wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 20:52:52 -0700
> odinn <odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > Satoshi was
> > apparently thinking about that same issue, of a decentralized market
> > within bitcoin, but it just didn't get finished.
> >
> > And in February of 2010, it was stripped out of bitcoin.
> >
> > (Insert ripping sound here.)
> >
> > https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/5253d1ab77fab1995ede03fb934edd
> > 67f1359ba8
> >
> > Go OpenBazaar, etc.  They (and some other similar projects) are
> > carrying the torch of decentralized marketplaces that don't require
> > legacy institutions to operate.
>

> 	Thanks. I wasn't aware that the decentralized marketplace
> 	problem was being worked on at that time and by Satoshi.
> 	Interesting.

So what do we need to put that back in to a working cryptocoin? I see
all this nonsense about putting stuff 'on top of' bitcoin, but it seems
like it really ought to be integrated, or if not integrated, at least
follow the unix philosphy of individual tools you can compose together.

Libbitcoin seems to have had that 'tools' approach, but it appears to
have no use case, and can you even mine an altchain with it?