[Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

Steven Schear schear.steve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:05:58 PDT 2015

Coming in a bit later here. To me the essence of the reasoning for the fork
is to head off the possibility that sometime in the not too distant future
the demand of bitcoin users to transact on the blockchain will exceed the
supply. That certainly might happen if fees don't respond to supply-demand
economics. Those pushing bitcoin to compete with MasterCard/VISA are, IMHO,
a bit crazy. Like shoemakers always reaching for a hammer every time these
people see a transactional opportunity they reach for the blockchain. I
think that's just plain silly. Bitcoin is not well suited for all
transactional situations. In the longer-term it seems great to replace, for
example, SWIFT and bank wires but rather poor for those that require cheap-
or ultra-cheap real-time settlement whereas some alternatives seem
tailor-made for this.

Then again maybe I am missing the key reasoning for this fork.