progression of technologies

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Sun Jul 5 15:44:21 PDT 2015

On 24 June 2015 at 22:26,  <dan at geer.org> wrote:
> Paraphrasing Bonnie Raitt, let's give 'em something germane
> to argue about.  In particular, what do I have wrong here:
>
> http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Passcode/Passcode-Voices/2015/0617/Opinion-The-reasonable-expectation-fallacy

I'm far from certain, but I think what you have wrong is the notion
that wavelength doesn't matter. I think the courts have decided it
does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joffe_v._Google,_Inc.#U.S._Supreme_Court

Specifically, "most of the general public lacks the expertise to
intercept and decode payload data transmitted over a Wi-Fi network."
Therefore the notion that you can point whatever sort of 'camera' you
want at people to capture them isn't accurate.  (The other relevant
case is that the police do need a warrant to point infrared cameras at
people's houses.)

-tom