Open Fabs

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:37:09 PDT 2015

Pasting in more from the truecrypt thread that should have gone in here...

Dnia wtorek, 28 lipca 2015 21:34:07 Steve Kinney pisze:
> If a market is willing to pay enough to support and grow the
> project, it can be done.  Are there potential partners and large
> scale consumers for "top security through total transparency" to
> make an open hardware project viable today?
rysiek:
Yes. And there are ways to create a market like that, albeit it takes time.
> I haven't looked at how the Black Phone folks are doing lately,
> but that looks like the kind of product line where open hardware
> might find its first viable home.
rysiek:
Funny you should ask:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2402536/us-department-of-defence-adopts-nsa-proof-blackphone-devices

On 07/28/2015 03:40 PM, oshwm wrote:
> So is anyone working on building an 'openfab' or is it such a big
> task that everyone just backs away in horror? :D
doctor:
The closest I know to that is Jeri Ellsworth, who's at the point of
fabbing her own discrete transistors in a homebrew semiconductor
foundry.  If she's still working on this project, she's probably a bit
closer but I haven't spoken to her about it.