Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sun Jul 26 15:52:03 PDT 2015

On 07/25/2015 09:06 PM, jim bell wrote:
> *From:* Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> On 07/24/2015 07:25 PM, Steve
> Kinney wrote:
>

>> Need some volunteers and/or a funding angel to create a
>> corpus of howto docs that identify the RF receiver parts in
>> automotive ECM units and their associated wiring harnesses,
>> including which pins to cut to assure radio silence in both
>> directions.
>
> RF sniffers are common electronic equipment. Keychain wireless
> networks detectors and all that. Just pay attention to where
> your hands wander attempting to pinpoint the rf source's
> location, HEI ignition systems, fan belts , whirling parts etc,
> maim and kill.

[ ... ]

Any bench tech with access to publicly available documentation -
and the physical hardware - should be able to identify the RF
components in any automotive control system without too much
trouble.  ECM units are fairly well RF isolated, so those that
talk to the world should normally have easily identified
connections to external antennas.  High frequency transceiver
components usually have their own RF shielded areas on the board
as well.  Cutting one wire or IC pin per unit (antenna or IC
power) should isolate it from remote access.  If necessary
functions fail, undo the mod and try elsewhere until the desired
results are obtained.

In the U.S., getting hold of ECMs to play with presents some
inconveniences:  Junk yards pull ECMs and sell them back to their
manufacturers - some nonsense about "intellectual property" seems
to be involved - so there aren't many available on the open market
to play with.  But where there's a will, a few dollars and a small
pile of pointy tools, there's a way.

:o)