Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 18:06:12 PDT 2015

  From: Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net>
On 07/24/2015 07:25 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

> Need some volunteers and/or a funding angel to create a corpus of
> howto docs that identify the RF receiver parts in automotive ECM
> units and their associated wiring harnesses, including which pins
> to cut to assure radio silence in both directions.
RF sniffers are common electronic equipment. Keychain wireless networks
detectors and all that. Just pay attention to where your hands wander
attempting to pinpoint the rf source's location, HEI ignition systems,
fan belts , whirling parts etc, maim and kill.

There are some rather economical spectrum analyzers being sold today.
Example:  http://www.triarchytech.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw58ytBRDMg-HVn4LuqasBEiQAhPkhuqJwqFbZdZZCT5H96z3jdwFEddz79Kx-HDL_DEqJCrYaAmko8P8HAQ
http://www.flyteccomputers.com/Spectrum-Analyzer

http://nutsaboutnets.com/rfviewer/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RF-Spectrum-Analyzer-3-3GHZ-/281757383569

Some of the devices I've seen advertised may only be WiFi-signal capable.  Somebody doing this work seriously should probably get a full-spectrum unit, from low-tens-of-megahertz to 5 GHz or so.
Of course, there is this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-494P-Tek-Spectrum-Analyzer-with-Cover-Works-GPIB-Tested-and-Works-/291518180539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43dfd66cbb

Ironically, the newer, cheaper units may be much better for your task, in part because the USB spectrum analyzers can be put on the end of a USB cable, and they therefore interface directly with modern computers.
               Jim Bell