an ominous comment

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jul 22 02:03:07 PDT 2015

On 7/21/15 8:49 PM, Seth wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:54:25 -0700, Lance Cottrell <loki at obscura.com> wrote:
>
>> I recall it being more nuanced and diverse.
>
> I wasn't there in the beginning so I don't have any firsthand knowledge.
>
> According to this piece, [1] "Almost all cypherpunks were anarchists who regarded the state as the enemy."

I will have to dig to find my archives of that era to be positive, but I'm pretty sure I joined by 1994 at the latest, probably
1993. I installed the first firewall at Bank of America in late 1994, so it may have been much earlier since I'd already been into
security for a while at that point.  I was part of the whole rise and fall of Detweiller.  I'm always puzzled that most people
haven't heard of him.

http://borg.uu3.net/ldetweil/medusa/detweiler.html

> I'm basing the claim on the fact that founding member Timothy May wasn't exactly shy about his crypto *anarchy* vision of the future.
>
> Not sure what exactly what Eric Hughes or John Gilmore's were at the time.
>

> [1] http://onlyinamericablogging.blogspot.jp/2011/03/robert-manne-julian-assange-cypherpunk.html

sdw