an ominous comment

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jul 20 19:54:05 PDT 2015

On 7/20/15 4:56 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 7/20/15, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> On the other hand, life is a balance.
> True. I'm thinking individuals here.
>
>> I probably shouldn't have tried to
>> make the point here, but it is something a security
>> professional should understand well: The right amount of security
>> should be moderated by the tradeoff of costs vs. overhead vs.
>> maximizing benefit vs. minimizing loss.
> Corporations are bound to their economic imperative to make such trade
> offs. This is the heart of their sociopathic nature. This is the part
> of corporations/ companies which needs, somehow, to change in order to
> get this world on a better track.

>> It is terrible that some companies have been too eager to share information.
>>   They may or may not have believed whatever safeguards
>> were in place, or not cared, etc.  I'm sure a high pressure meeting with an
>> FBI crew who are strongly playing the terrorism angle is
>> persuasive, as it should be, up to a point.
> Here's the kind of talk that looks like a hole freshly dug.
>
> Perhaps if there is an actual existential threat to someone's life or
> some building (let's please stop using the T word), then "high
> pressure persuasion" would be adequate for a court order anyway. As it
> should be - up to the point of a subpoena, summons and/ or order to
> perform or act - to handle the actual problem.
>
> You seem though to be normalising behaviours and approaches and "high
> pressure persuasion" tactics by government departments, in a
> generalised way. You might not be intending the things you imply/ say,

You're making an unqualified assumption about my unqualified qualifier "up to a point"...

> but don't be surprised when such positions are mocked or ridiculed.
> Don't take such blow back as personal at all though - it's the
> "normalisation of bad" and "plainly wrong/ evil" which is being
> attacked for the bullshit it is.

Feel free.  I totally mock and rail about it too.  I can see several sides to this, and I've been on enough "sides" of these
problems, at least in some weak sense, to have some model of decision making by people in those roles.  Poor decisions are
understandable until there are enough cases, noticed and confronted, to make the right path clear.  We're getting a lot of those
lately.  EFF, SPLC, ACLU, and others, sometimes including commercial entities, are providing an invaluable service of evolving both
the law and internal commercial and government policy.

Hacking the system cleverly and deliberately is one of the cooler forms of hacking.

>> And companies holding your data
>> can actually look at that data for business purposes,
> Perhaps try something this instead: "And for-profit therefore
> sociopathic-by-nature companies do massively collect your metadata AND
> your personal information, with or without your consent, and are well
> leaked and reported to use and abuse all your data both within and
> beyond the law, beyond your expectations, and beyond what many people
> consider ethical."

A few quibbles: for-profit is sociopathic-by-default perhaps, although even there you are assuming some socioeconomic system. You're
also glossing over whether and when consent is an issue. People in public places sometimes believe that others need consent to take
their picture; generally not true.  Is it rude to take your picture and does rudeness matter?  That depends.  "Beyond your
expectations" is also problematic: How could any possible expectation ever be said to be adhered to?  Perhaps "generally accepted
fair use as defined by EFF" or something (if there is such a thing) might be reasonable.  What is the definition of "many people"?

If you use language that can never be satisfied in any reliable way, you can't really complain that an entity isn't satisfying it.

> See what we did there? We made it personal, giving a slight hope to
> the uninitiated to realise something they did not realise before. We

Education is always good.  Don't infect others with pathological paranoia, but a healthy understanding of risks and exposures is
always good.

> highlighted some foundations (for profit being inherently

Not inherently.  Social, economic, legal, contractual, and other cultural systems allow, disallow, guide, and control people in
their interactions.  The US, for instance, has always been a place where there were many unwritten rules of operating in business.
Some have run roughshod over those, sometimes reaping unjust rewards and/or changing what is acceptable, but there are always things
that could be done that just aren't.  Further, a particular entity could impose upon itself, by charter, culture, or customer
agreement, a more stringent stance than others.  There could be mechanisms that audit or otherwise control this.

You get what you optimize for.  If you have a default corporation controlled by weak, shallow leaders and driven by shallow, blind
Wall Street numbers, then the result is likely to be sociopathic. On the other hand, however imperfectly or incompletely, certain
companies have a founder-driven culture of a far more empathic nature than this default, whether they be different or have a stated
desire to not be evil.  Both of those companies largely care about users in some strong sense, much unlike certain other highly and
chronically annoying entities.

> sociopathic). We reminded the reader that their consent is often not
> obtained (yes, we can argue about implied consent, the point is we're
> edumacating). We make the assertion that companies actually abuse all
> that data (whatever "abuse" might mean), just in case someone missed
> the memo.

One person's use is another person's abuse.  People should be aware.

> With all this, we are also implying that this abuse is wrong.

Abuse is wrong, use may not be.  Sometimes depends on where you stand.  Some types don't have agreement.  Plenty of people hate the
idea of automated ad filtering based on the content of email or chat or other activity.  There are things that could go wrong with
that if it gets to a human or is gamed, but properly done anonymously, it can be fine: I'd rather get timely ads I may care about
than the much larger set of uninteresting dreck.  I actually suggested doing exactly this with AOL chatrooms in about 1996. This is
a good example of good education vs. bad education: If you say "This could be misused or leaked in a way that could be a problem if
a company isn't careful, and here is a scenario..., and here is how that could be handled better..." that's fine, especially if a
company can indicate the level of care & security they're currently employing.  If you say: "Google is reading your email, sending
it to every company that wants to buy it for a few cents!" that's disingenuous at best and dangerous to certain people's mental
state at worst.

> Your version sounds like you are -trying- to normalise the wrong,
> justify the bad, and 'accept the new messed up world order as best we
> can'. We hear enough of that from others. And I saw NO to that abuse!
> Give me justification for abuse, at your peril!

I was mainly talking about making realistic decisions without a value statement for current practices, which we are all going to
have different opinions on since they aren't public.

We should have some taxonomy of the nature of those abuses, with consensus lines drawn as to what we all find acceptable or not
acceptable, why, and what mechanisms best resolve the issue.

>> although how they use it is somewhat bounded by privacy laws (however
>> incomplete), not making private things public, unfair business
>> practices, etc.  My point was that the existence of large, valuable services
>> that depend on a lot of trust is, or should be to a
> "should be" trustworthy?

Some are not at certain points, or all are not at some points, or only mine is as far as I know.  Take your pick.

> They're companies. You've missed the bloody memo. And a very bloody
> memo the corporate record is, for decades and across industries!

Have you noticed the difference in nature of various companies over time?

>> sane entity, an even stronger incentive to behave than the patchwork
>> of laws.
> You're not grokking the incentive. It's profit. And it's more than an
> incentive, profit is the foundational company-constitutional
> imperative for companies (funny that).
>
> This is why companies can NOT be trusted. You seem to be missing this
> basic point. Do you own a company?

Of course; it may not be worth anything, but I do actual work.  You don't?  You're not doing your taxes properly if not...  ;-)

Who CAN be trusted?  At some level, no one, but we've already established that in the real world, you generally have to trust people
all the time.
Are you sure you are applying your distrust criteria in a comprehensive and rational way?

>> Past oversharing, then embarrassment and public
>> abuse, coupled with product impacts as they lose sensitive customers, has
>> almost certainly caused a cleanup of those attitudes.  I'd
>> be interested in the actual policy right now, although I doubt they are
>> going to be too explicit.  I suspect that it also varies
>> heavily by corporate culture.
> Some companies start with good policy, and good public stance, most
> significantly in this conversation, Google itself - "do no evil". They
> don't say that any more. They can't. Did you ever wonder why they
> stopped saying that?

They pretty much still do.  And it is silly to say they can't.  They are a relatively giant company.  Mistakes happen.  What
mistakes are they making now?
https://www.google.com/about/company/philosophy/

    You can make money without doing evil.

>> Every day, you are somewhat at the mercy of dozens and perhaps thousands
>> of people who could cause you pain, suffering, or death if
>> they were so inclined.  There are many in the government, schools, employer
>> personnel departments, medical and insurance companies,
>> etc.  The people driving around you, stopped at a light while you cross the
>> street, making your food, they all have access and the
>> ability to inflict misery on you.  You have to trust someone to some extent.
> Trust is a relevant foundation to community/ society, sure.
>
> But now you've segued into personal. Which is a good place at times,
> an effective place. It's more tangible for people.
>
> But here we were talking about companies. I would ordinarily presume
> your trust formula is different for companies that it is for actual,
> you know, humans.
>
> I suggest not overloading corporate rights, corporate trust, with
> human rights, human trust. Not particularly useful in our context.

All companies that I know about are filled with people.  They may be sheeple a little too often (I have permanently fired ATT Mobile
(formerly Cingular) for refusing to issue a refund to my son when they screwed up "because the policy prevents us".), but it is
personal at some level.  You are trusting that the Comcast installer is not a murderer, that the banker isn't stealing from you, and
that the well-paid Google engineer has better things to do than to eavesdrop on you.

>> The question is who you trust, how incentivized they
>> and the people / organization around them protects you, whether wrongs will
>> be limited, corrected, and righted or not.
> A rational approach is warranted for sure.
>
> Companies, and in most cases humans working for them, are
> predominantly incentivized by money. Yesterday I read an article on

Whether all are, or even a predominant amount are, is questionable. Many people care about customers, their career, mission, etc.
Money is only an issue occasionally.

> the Great Wall of China. Incredible vision, so many centuries of
> building. But when it came down to the time it was 'needed', due to
> there being only so many sentries, and so far spread out, and the
> sentries paid so little, when the marauding Mongols wanted in, to do
> some marauding, they just bribed a sentry or two. Apparently same with
> the Europeans in more recent times. So, incentivized people were,
> secure, wall was not. The biggest security theater.
>
> I think the great wall may have been useful psychologically though...
> to encourage a mindset of unity in the people within.
>

>> For a long time, as a contractor at the peak of their heyday, I had access
>> to AOL's entire user database, complete with name,
>> address, full credit card info, phone numbers, etc.  I could have also
>> snooped on their Buddylists, their person-to-person video
>> (Instant Images), and a lot more.  There was zero chance that I would abuse
>> any of that.
> Your ethics are admirable. I share your personal intentions. I don't
> trust companies though, except to plunder markets to the maximum
> profit possible.

There are some who have acted that way, for sure.  I have my black list.  Others try.  They deserve a little credit, and help when
possible.

> Zenaan
>
>> sdw

sdw