Encryption Rights - A Google+ community

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sat Jul 18 14:09:21 PDT 2015

Dnia sobota, 18 lipca 2015 10:55:52 eden pisze:
> > +1 here.
>
>    I'm an admin for a lot of groups. Those groups are run on Yahoo,
> Google, as well as some that are run on private mailman machines. The
> question keeps coming up... what is the alternative?

Run your own servers, control your own infrastructure. There are ways to do
it. Next on my "ToTest" list is this, for instance:
https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign

> > Well, I understand the need for more "social" (for want of better word)
> > communication platform than e-mail. For me, this is Twister:
> > http://twister.net.co/
>
>    This looks very interesting. Thank you, i will have to look into it.
>
>    But, back to the question: How/where can someone run a simple
> (ignoring the sign-up required by Yahoo/Google/etc.), public, free
> (both ways, because paying would require identification) forum,
> allowing for anonymous posts (but not allowing it to be overrun by
> trolls), that has a simple searchable (and findable - as in searched
> by Google, Yahoo, etc.) archive?

The question is not price; the question is whether you are aware that you're
always paying in hard cash or private data. If you value your data you will
find the cash.

>    You still have to trust a privately run forum. Trust, as in, will
> it be censored, altered, still there after the volunteer gets tired of
> it, etc.?

Run your own forum, or use something like Twister -- censorship doesn't really
seem possible there.

>    In other words, if you want a private discussion group about
> Privacy, then yes, keep it small and secret... somehow. But if you
> want a public discussion, what are the alternatives to
> Google/Yahoo/etc.?

Get more people off of Google/Yahoo/etc. There's also The Federation:
http://the-federation.info/

You can even set up more pods/servers.

--
Pozdrawiam,