an ominous comment

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Sat Jul 18 08:15:51 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 01:39:45PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Well, for one thing, it removes physical access to machines from
> insiders on your end, and in many cases, also direct access to data,
> particularly in its bulk form.
>
> With conscious effort and the right resources, you might be able to
> come with better security controls than the large service providers,
> but right now, most organizations don't have much of an audit trail
> for locally run services.  I'm not sure if moving data off premises
> actually results in a net loss of control over it.  Note be cause the
> service providers are so good at security, but because various factors
> conspire to make almost everyone else so bad.

Well, I don't trust the cloud and don't use it.
(I don't trust my boxen in a different way).

The cloud owns the CPU and this is enough for me.

You should be aware of the numerous virtualization
sploits -- Xen, Qemu, possibly others.

Exploiting a virtualization bug is just the fee
"to be in cloud" and I _suspect_ more efforts
are needed for my boxen.