[Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Sun Jul 5 19:52:47 PDT 2015

 On Sun, Jul 5, 2015, 18:44 James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:

Way back in the beginning I said an ever growing block chain would cause
unacceptable costs and inconvenience, and lo and behold, it is causing
substantial and ever growing costs and inconvenience.

Of course, restraining the block chain to manageable growth without
losing other good characteristics is inherently hard, and it was a lot
easier for me to point at the problem than to fix it.

 I had been hoping that we would see more stuff happening off-blockchain by
now, with Bitcoin acting more as a clearing house between smaller payment
providers, but all the regulations protecting the big banks from
competition make it really hard to do anything off-blockchain that looks
even remotely like a payments service. Side chains of some kind seem like a
reasonable approach, and I'm guessing that it will be the difficulty of
dealing with the "central" block chain that will finally force people "over
the hump" into using some kind of sidechain payments system. I really want
to see micropayments, for example, and those seem to be too unwieldy and
expensive to do the main chain.