There's this really kewl mesh network that's being deployed world-wide...

Seth list at sysfu.com
Sun Jul 5 17:56:01 PDT 2015

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 10:38:14 -0700, Shelley <shelley at misanthropia.org>
wrote:
> TY for the summary.  I block all things goog but suspected this was the
> topic; agree with your comments.

Glad someone found it helpful. I've actually been meaning to post more
viewing notes along with interesting videos that I think are worth
sharing, with the aim of being more respectful of people's time. Still
working on the discipline to take notes while viewing.

It's a bit like disciplining yourself to take pictures when you're
traveling. There's always a feeling of "oh man, this is a hassle and I
just want to enjoy the moment without fussing with a camera." But you're
always glad you took pictures later on.

Regarding blocking of all things goog: Until I get my own MediaGoblin
instance up and running I can try repost videos on a service that's a tad
less an arm of the surveillance state. I was thinking of inserting the
content into the new Alexandria project. If you have any other suggestions
let me know.

> Yes, because they have neglected the basic infrastructure for decades &
> discourage the use of individual solar/etc., some otherwise sensible
> people are welcoming the idea of these spy boxes - because their
> bullshit propaganda is designed to appeal to those of us who are
> concerned about the environment.
>
> Oh sure, why would I mind if "the grid" reschedules my laundry to an
> "off-peak" time?  It'll save me money (*always* the hook, if the
> environmental concern-troll act fails), and I'm not home anyway, right?

Electricity is a unique commodity in that it's not that efficient to
store, so I can see the logit in trying to shift usage to off peak times.
The engineer Rob States from the other follow-up vid I posted says that
utilities could save 30% on power transmission by switching to
superconductor high tension lines.

> Oh wait, they know when I'm not home...
>
> they also know:
>  when I wake up,
>  which appliances I use and when,
>  whether I have had an overnight guest,
>  when I leave and for how long I am gone, (which they can combine with
> transit pass records- which some employers have integrated with
> electronic, RFID-polluted work IDs so there is almost no avoiding it
> unless you take active measures to do so, which then invites further
> spook scrutiny),
>  credit card purchases and surveillance cam info (interconnected by
> TrapWire [0] to know where I've been & what I've been doing all day, so
> even if you leave your universal tracking device at home, walk/bike
> everywhere and pay with cash/BTC, you are still tracked-as-fuck),
>  when I get home,
>  what I read or watch and listen to,
>  when I go to sleep, and with whom ...
>
> If your municipality hasn't yet deployed these spy boxes, do what you
> can to slow their roll out!  Is this what you want (in addition to the
> very real detrimental health effects already mentioned?)
>
> I live in one of the most liberal, progressive cities around and
> initially they'd treated us as some conspiracy theorists when a few of
> us raised concerns about the unnecessary collection of data, the
> security of the transmission of said data & who will have access to it
> and the health concerns.  Now they've been scheduling dog & pony show
> community meetings to "address our concerns," and attending one probably
> puts you on the same list as going to a 2600 meeting...

Agree with all this. If you can grow a beard, start farming it! haha.

> They are supposed to begin the deployment of these spy boxes here in
> 2016-17 and I'll be damned if they'll put one on my abode.

Time to start whipping up some suspicion and discontent with the peasants
beforehand, I'd say.
I would like to live in a culture of resistance where the prevalent
mindset is always "Hmm, big mega corp 'X' or gov is trying to roll out
such and such product/service/program/legislation. How are they trying to
fuck us in the ass this time?"

> For being such an inconvenient troublemaker, they'll charge $50 or more
> per billing cycle (final amount is as yet undecided.)

$50 a billing cycle is outrageous. Depending on the laws where you live,
you might be best served by communication your refusal via registered mail
or whatever the equivalent is in your area. Takebackyourpower.net has lots
of resources for how to properly serve the electrical company with a
refusal notice so that you will maintain the best legal position to
dispute the extortion charges they try to punish you with.

> This is total bullshit.  They can upgrade "the grid" without making it a
> universal spying network, but why would they when sheeple don't complain
> and push back?

I think there's a lot of push-back happening, we're on the cusp and it's
gaining momentum every day. three people on my street have already gone
back to analogue a long time ago, and I'm approaching three more neighbors
with the hopes of convincing them to do the same. I might even be going
door to door and distributing copies of the 'Take Back your Power'
documentary.