HORNET: High-speed Onion Routing at the Network Layer

Rich Jones rich@openwatch.net
Wed Jul 22 22:49:29 PDT 2015

No PoC published yet, but interesting work on a new high speed router based
anonymity network.

"We present HORNET, a system that enables high-speed end-to-end anonymous
channels by leveraging next generation network archi-tectures. HORNET is
designed as a low-latency onion routing system that operates at the network
layer thus enabling a wide ra nge of applications. Our system uses only
symmetric cryptography for data forwarding yet requires no per-flow state
on intermediate nodes. This design enables HORNET nodes to process
anonymous traffic at over 93 Gb/s. HORNET can also scale as required,
adding minimal processing overhead per additional anonymous channel. We
discuss design and implementation details, as well as a performance and
security evaluation."

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1507.05724v1.pdf

Another subtle but slightly interesting tweak to the threat model in
post-Snowden anonymity papers - increased difficultly of upholding a global
political conspiracy is now explicitly mentioned as layer of defense (7.3).