[Cryptography] Super-computer project wanted

grarpamp grarpamp@gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:44:15 PDT 2015

>>> dave@horsfall.org
>>> So, is there anything that could benefit from a few parallel
teraflops here and there?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net> wrote:
> Or you could apply static code analysis software to huge
> masses of existing operating system, device driver, plugin,
> email-client or god-help-us browser code in wide use and
> see if you can't spot instances of dangerous vulnerabilities
> like buffer overflows.  A list of known errors would be
> very helpful in getting code up to 'bulletproof' reliability
> and no one runs ALL the possible static analysis we know
> about on large bodies of code because it takes too long on
> regular computers.

This, and fuzzing... of all the opensource OS's and all the
ported packages they supply. And dump all of github in it
for fun.

It takes too long, too much developer time, a different
skillset, opensource test suites may not yet cover some
areas that commercial ones do, etc.

Ripe for development of an open perpetual audit project.

That, and printing your own open and trusted chips, in your own
open and trusted fab, are possible now. It's big picture, grand slam,
full circle headiness, but it is doable. People just have to get
together and kick it off.