www.nsa-observer.net

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 31 09:39:11 PST 2015

Depends on the converter, whether it keeps the Adobe spying
features witting or unwitting -- which it may be aware of or not.
And whether it has a deal with Adobe to retain disguised.

Adode hidden code is quite devious -- for example it may remain
hidden to use the converted version as a host germ carrier to
propagate itself, following the bio model in our guts to use
feces as fertilizer.

Be careful about using free products, such as Adobe Reader
and free converters of formats of all kinds. They often contain
germs similar to the way NSA and other spies implant germs
in innocuous programs and platforms -- "free" is as devious as
"open" to those who exploit public trust in freedom and openness.
Journalism a prime exploiter under the brand of freedom of the
press to exploit with constitutional protection.

Gmail is one of the most notorious germ transmitters. Tor not quite
as evil, but less because newer than the Internet itself, the Internet
Archive, Wikipedia, social media, PGP, and many more which may
have had noble origins but have been adopted (and bought) by
converters of good to evil -- most readily by government contracts,
vulture capitalism, desparately broke and in debt, entrapment and
coercion by law enforement -- or all of them.

This list is beyond good and evil, thus spoke Zarathrusta, aka
TCM, JG, EH. Though those gods are dead.

<<https://cpunks.org/mailman/listinfo/cypherpunks>jya at pipeline.com> wrote:

 > Swell initiatives by all the Snowden distributors. Except most
 > fall prey to PDF manipulation of tagging, implanting, tracking,
 > by willful intent or by technical ignorance.
 >
 > It is virtually impossible to sanitize PDFs due to Adobe's inherent
 > design to meticulously spy on use of its products as well as
 > deluded user attempts to hide who, when, what, how by users
 > from creation to modification to wiping to stego to signing to
 > forging to stinging. Image or accessible-text or other PDF
 > formats, locked, redacted, watermarked, et al.

Pardon my ignorance about this, and I will do my own research, but do
these hidden formattings/stego/call-home functions disappear, get
mutilated, become broken when 'converting' such PDF documents to
other document types via use of many 'conversion' tools (Calibre
comes to mind instantly) or are these embedded organisms a persistent
across any automated conversion routine?

Cheers,
Benjamin