Cryptography Intellectual Property: Formalities of Cypherpunk

Robert Hettinga hettinga at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:14:06 PST 2015

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 2:34 PM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
>
> The question is not about encrypted materials, but about encryption algorithms
> and tools, as far as I understand.

Patents and copyrights aren’t property. They’re government granted monopolies. They’re no more property than your driver’s license.

Property is the application of mind to *matter*, to quote a great Flash animation.

An idea can not be property. Ever.

So. Again. If it’s *encrypted*, and I have the key, it’s my property. I control the physical bits.

Otherwise it’s not my property.

Cheers,
RAH