What is offtopic and what should be avoided on this list?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:12:43 PST 2015

Un Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> escrit Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:05:53:
> I would like to know what is offtopic and what should be avoided
> on this list.

The current official charter on the homepage is:

"The Cypherpunks mailing list is a mailing list for discussing
cryptography and its effect on society."

> Appears to me wide variety of topics are discussed.

That's probably because a wide variety of topics are applicable to
charter.

Understanding and merits of various licenses? Certainly applies to
crypto licensing, society's use of crypto, and surrounding trappings.

History of computing? Surely if you want to understand where crypto
runs and came from.

Traditional message formatting, plain text, English language?
Yes if you want to communicate broadly and effectively, especially
with people who were around well before you, to learn and carry on.

> commercial spam.

Spam is filtered from lists everywhere. People selling and tagging
every post with their own crypto related wares? They are often
technically debunked, look dumb, and end up going home.

> gross nonsense

The decades of cypherpunks list has plenty of moments and characters...
radicals, pros and antis, corporates, govts, citizens, assholes,
frauds, dreamers, tinhatters, philosophers, savants, ALT's,
shills/SP's, notorious actors, and more. All part of its history
and makes it what it is. A few people bitching or leaving is nothing
out of the ordinary in that context, in fact, that's a compliment
to the list. Unless you think Cypherpunk is all about happy
homogenized pasteurized consensus and submission, particularly with
and regarding the enemy... governments, oppressives, monitors,
privacy invaders and whatever else. Ain't no punk in that. Oi!

The magic of unmoderated lists, outside of literal spam, is that
they're usually self moderating and come back around before long.

Of further relevance to your query...
Recent thread "The Muslim Problem".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypherpunk#Cypherpunk_mailing_list
http://cryptome.org/cpunks/cpunks-92-98.zip

> Just trying to avoid being banned from unmoderated list ;)

Doubt anyone here has anything to worry about in that regard.

> the way the heavily censored (in theory small moderated)
> Fyodor's full disclosure blocked me at SMTP level.

Forking a similarly strict cypherpunks is not restricted by any
"license" if people want that (maybe the same conformists and
sheeple who complained about al-qaeda.net).

Cypherpunk, Oi!