Rant on BSD vs GPL was [Good ol' BSD vs. GPL]

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Fri Jan 9 16:45:24 PST 2015

Hi there,

Dnia piątek, 9 stycznia 2015 21:09:56 Juan pisze:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 23:56:21 +0100
>
> rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > While I admire RMS for his free software work, I have my own
> > differences with him. For example his stance on Creative Commons -ND
> > provision: http://onpon4.github.io/other/fsf-no-derivatives/
> > http://rys.io/en/101
>
> 	I read your critique.

For the record, the first link is not mine.

> 	Yet another instance of Stallman's lack of consistency.

I find him very consistent as long as we stay in the software ballpark; as
soon as we leave it, especially if we venture into other copyrighted works
territory, there are things that indeed seem inconsistent.

Can't really blame him, I guess; no single person is able to grasp all the
intricacies involved.

And I'm sure that it would be possible to convince him, after a long and
extensive enough discussion. Or maybe he would convince me, who's to say who's
right here?

> 	What I found slightly interesting, and correct me if I'm wrong,
> 	is that one of Stallman's basic arguments for free software is
> 	that individuals have the right to use their hardware however
> 	they wish, but running propietary software means that somebody
> 	else is controlling or 'owning' their hardware.

I would say: that individuals should have the right to use their *tools*
however they like, including fixing them, modifying them and helping their
neighbours by lending them.

> 	That is a rather libertarian/propertarian argument.

Well, as far as I read it, it's not about *ownership*, but rather *control*.
But I guess to some extent you can't have one without the other.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147