Good ol' BSD vs. GPL (was: Re: TrueCrypt, GostCrypt, *Crypt - status?)

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Fri Jan 9 14:33:29 PST 2015

Dnia niedziela, 4 stycznia 2015 20:02:12 grarpamp pisze:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 7:00 AM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > Apparently Facebook used a modified OpenSSL version that was accidentally
> > not vulnerable. Had OpenSSL been licensed under a copyleft license, maybe
> > we wouldn't have Heartbleed at all.
>
> No. GPL does not require redistribution of mods used privately,
> only if redistribution occurs are such mods required to be
> redistributed.  Facebook chose not to redistribute, therefore GPL
> would have made no difference because it would not trigger.

Yeah, that's why I'm actually a fan of the AGPL. :)

By the way, I have no problem with private use not triggering *GPL, but
Facebook's use of OpenSSL is hardly private, as if I were to use Facebook I
would have to interact with their OpenSSL instance/copy/whatever-you-call-it.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147