Rant on BSD vs GPL was [Good ol' BSD vs. GPL]

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Wed Jan 7 03:25:18 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 01:57:25AM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> > Georgi write:
> > Dudes, you still using GPL GCC?
>
> Actually, no.

OK, this might have finally happened and I have been
trolling bsd fanatics about gcc since at least 4 years
(maybe more).

Not an expert on compilers, but gcc has some extensions like
__gnu*, some of which are widely used. Not sure how clang
currently deals with them.

Building just the kernel with clang is likely possibly, but
bare kernel is not a distro.

Till recently, I believe one couldn't build desktop
environment only with clang, might be wrong on this.

Unrelated: I am wondering why bigcorps like google/linksys
use linux, when they could have used *bsd like
apple/juniper.