Rant on BSD vs GPL was [Good ol' BSD vs. GPL]

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Jan 6 23:58:15 PST 2015

On 1/7/15, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl>
> wrote:
>> GPL when something is everyone's property,
>
> Unless you're not "in", then suddenly they get ugly like you
> broke their communal bong hit or something. They used to cry
> if you didn't pass the code around, now they sic their lawyers
> on you. That's not very free.

Dang proprietary companies - we used to copy Win311 and later 98 and
XP around at the computer club like it was 1999, then Microsoft and
Adobe got all "man, you broke our communal bong hit" and now they sic
their lawyers on you. And we're talking XP with the BSD TCP/IP stack.
That's not very free.

>> BSD when you ... just don't care.
>
> Exactly, everyone is in, do whatever you want. And it's almost
> as unlimited as you can get under today's mandatory law for
> those who say copyright is fiction. These days BSD says
> basically two things:
> 1) Do what you want.
> 2) Author disclaims liability.
>
> It's hard to be more free than that under current law

Man, roses and daisies will save the world - you're just not
meditatin' enough man. Love. Peace and love. If there's a revolution,
just pray for peace and love, and the daisies will, like, save you
man.

<coder hippie>
This one time, at BSD camp, I like, got some free code!

<stallman>
Freedoms aint freedoms bro.

<love and light hippie>
But, like, peace and free love man? BSD is just sooo free, and
everyone's just, so, like, free - can't you see?

<moglen>
Licenses aint licenses dude.

<coder hippie>
This one time, at BSD camp, I like, used BSD licensed code.

<love and light hippie #1>
BSD license man, now -that's- free <tokes a hit>...
... yeahhhh man, that's freeeee.

<love and light hippie #2>
Is it vegetarian?

<coder hippie>
This one time, at BSD camp, I like, stuck a proprietary license up my code.

<stallman>
Dude! Stop swearing already!