TrueCrypt, GostCrypt, *Crypt - status?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Jan 3 02:18:58 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 18:31 -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> After TrueCrypt, many tens of proposed continuations,
> and even brand new competing projects appeared, such as:
> https://www.gostcrypt.org/
>
> Have any of those many projects gained following, review,
> support, opensource license, and ongoing development
> work such that they can now be considered the in fact
> TrueCrypt successor / new independant solution?

The thing that really irks me the most about TrueCrypt being withdrawn
was that it was the only true multi-platform (GNU/Linux and Windows at
least, was there a Mac OS X version?) full-disk encryption software
available under a free software license. Every other full disk
encryption solution out there is either proprietary, only available for
one operating system, or both.

To me, any true successor to TrueCrypt will be available under GPLv3
(not sure I like the idea of someone forking a BSD/MIT licensed clone
and then not sharing the source, aka the "BSD/MIT Tuck And Run"), and
for at least GNU/Linux and Windows (ideally Mac OS X as well). While I
never really needed something like TrueCrypt while it was maintained,
that doesn't mean I won't in the future, and I know there are others who
need TrueCrypt (including multi-platform support).