Cypherpunk Politics

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Wed Jan 21 03:16:03 PST 2015

 > That's one of the reasons ACTA got killed in the EU. Amelia
 > Andersdotter, among a few others, was doing an amazing job in
 > the EuroParliament around this topic.

Indeed, the Pirates are seriously punching above their weight in terms
of influence in EU. So much so that the other "mainstream" parties have
started adopting pirate policies to greater/lesser extents; this
actually lead to a drop in pirate votes, but on balance it's a good sign.

Now, Julia Reda is in charge of the draft proposals for copyright reform
in the EU. They put a pirate in charge of that. And, she's done broad
consultations through net and otherwise, she's publicised every visit
from lobbyists, and she's released an evidence-heavy report with
recommendations for serious reform; not the hardcore pirate outcome, but
something no other kind of EU politician would have come out with.

Amelia and Julia are rockstars. I've been waiting and poking for a
Pirate Party in Ireland to form so I can try and send more quality MEPs
over to Brussels but we always lag behind on my island. :)

--
Twitter:  @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185