Does Cypherpunk need a Church?

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Wed Jan 14 06:08:32 PST 2015

Dnia środa, 14 stycznia 2015 14:41:55 Georgi Guninski pisze:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 02:09:26PM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> > Does Cypherpunk need a Church?
> > If so, what should it look like? Who are its priests? What are its
> > idols? What happens to alms? For whom is its mission? How does it
> > go about things and/or serve its people in the famliar (or unfamiliar)
> > ways of other churches? Is it purely internal or does it have
> > political or other external elements? Etc...
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_Church_of_Kopimism
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jediism
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raelism
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_organization
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classifications_of_religious_movements
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_religious_movement
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_religious_movements
>
> I suppose if this religion needs a deity, the heterogeneous
> crowd will have hard time agreeing on deity/deities :)

I think the diety should be anonymous, nameless, but it should be imperative
to create and use as many impromptu names for it as possible. I would also
consider a rule saying that it is imperative for the faithful to draw
caricatures of said deity at least once a year, and publish them.

> An admin I trolled about religion countertrolled he believes
> in the "god of servers".

I can see that. Come Monday morning, an admin comes to his workplace, notices
there's, say, some random leakage of water from a pipe above the server room
and goes: "oh god, the servers!"

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak