3 Bitcoin-related websites blocked in Russia, including bitcoin.org

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Tue Jan 13 15:24:46 PST 2015

Anyone's use of encryption for any purpose is beyond the means of any
state to control, this should have been obvious in 1992, but it seems
various states "missed the memo" and are now waking up (though they'll
always be asleep at the wheel)

http://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/crypto-anarchy.html

I honestly think everyone will be better off as the people begin to
reclaim more of their ability to work together using new and
technological capabilities that are growing well beyond the capacity
of governmental systems that were popularized around the world in
systems that grew in popularity and "revolution-arity" approximately
226 years ago.  In other words, governments will be needed less and
less and we'll understand we need each other more and more.  It may
not be clear when governments will diminish (or disappear) and to what
extent that will happen, but I don't think obedience to them is
helpful at all.

Even so, with trustless systems, I still consider that for many
circumstances, "the relationship is the ultimate technology,"  though
one system or another we create may fail, we work together mindful of
the necessity to create new communities and systems that look forward.

Anton Nesterov:
> Full judgment is avalable, thanks to Russian Pirate Party
> http://www.slideshare.net/temychk/bitcoin-43468448 All in all,
> there is 7 websites, two others is bitcoinconf.ru and
> hashbitcoin.ru. That two addresses not blocked (yet?), but
> presented in the judgment. One of them shows just parked domain
> page, the other one is a website of Russian Bitcoin conference set
> to 2 April 2015 in Moscow.
>
> Judgment basically says it's illegal to use Bitcoin because the
> only one currency in Russia is ruble, and Bitcoin is a money
> surrogate, which is prohibited by Russian law, and the law allow
> courts to prohibit distribution of any information in Russia.
>
> For reason, it says that: "Free distribution of information about
> electronic currency causes active use of cryptocurrencies for
> drug, arms, and forgery dealing and other criminal activity. These
> facts, as well as ability to uncontrollable transboundary money
> transfer followed by cashing in, are hight-risk approaches for
> potential using cryptocurrencies in schemes for legalization (money
> laundering) incomes from criminal activity, and the financing of
> the terrorism."
>

> http://rublacklist.net/9833/
>
> Anton Nesterov:
>> coinspot.io and indacoin.com was blocked too, so it's 5
>> websites.
>>
>> Quote from the judgment posted by RKN:
>>
>> "As article 27 of Federal law "On Central bank of Russian
>> Federation" says, official monetary unit (currency) of Russian
>> Federation is ruble. Introduction others monetary units and
>> issuing money surrogates on the territory of Russia is
>> prohibited.
>>
>> Under such conditions, cryptocurrencies, including "Bitcoin", are
>> money surrogates, they contribute to the rise of underground
>> economy, and can't be used by citizens and entitles on the
>> territory of Russian Federation"
>>
>> https://vk.com/wall-76229642_16558
>>
>> Anton Nesterov:
>>> So today bitcoin.org (208.64.123.130), bitcoin.it
>>> (162.159.245.241, 162.159.246.241) and btcsec.com
>>> (188.40.102.131 was blocked country-wide, because Neviansky's
>>> court of Sverdlovsk oblast rule 2-978/2014 on 30 September
>>> 2014. Text of this judgment is not known, it's not on their
>>> website yet (Russian laws force courts to publish their
>>> judgments on the Internet), so this is hard to say what for
>>> exactly this websites was blocked. The bill that allow to
>>> block Bitcoin-related websites is still a draft.
>>>

>>> http://tjournal.ru/paper/bitcoin-org-rkn (Russian)

- --
http://abis.io ~
"a protocol concept to enable decentralization
and expansion of a giving economy, and a new social good"
https://keybase.io/odinn