Rant on BSD vs GPL was [Good ol' BSD vs. GPL]

Juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 14:41:44 PST 2015

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 23:09:41 +0100
rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:

> Dnia niedziela, 11 stycznia 2015 18:34:24 Juan pisze:
> > > I would say: that individuals should have the right to use their
> > > *tools* however they like, including fixing them, modifying them
> > > and helping their neighbours by lending them.
> >
> > 	Which boils down to : this is my stuff - I do with it
> > whatever I want.
>
> So, if I write a program, whose "stuff" is it? Mine? Yours if you're
> using it? the "boils down to" is a bit simplified, isn't it.

	I was referring to physical property - computer hardware in this
	case. Again, the argument is that since people own the hardware
	they should control it (otherwise they don't really own it).

	If you write a program you are the author. You can keep it
	secret but you can't prevent people from copying it/using it
	if you somehow make it public. As to who 'owns' it, the
	question doesn't make much sense because, again, intellectual
	'property' doesn't really work liky physical property.