Rant on BSD vs GPL was [Good ol' BSD vs. GPL]

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Jan 6 11:21:22 PST 2015

On 01/06/15 19:51 +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
>Let me make a rant on BSD vs GPL licenses.
>
>It is well known fact that Micro$oft used *BSD TCP stack in earlier
>versions of their shit. In addition on _old_ versions of windows,
>grepping for "Berkeley" returned the bsd license in userland, likely
>in the shit called "ftp.exe".
>
>I am not a coder, though have released some non-destructive stuff.
>
>If I were a coder, I would have been pissed off if micro$oft
>profited from my codeZ$ (though a lot a of sheeple don't care about
>this).

My googlefu is failing me, but I recall that Microsoft came to some sort of
agreement back in the 90s with the Regents of the University of California,
meaning someone got payed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+making+money+from+linux

--
Dan White
vi, debian, C, mutt, sysvinit, /usr/local/, su -, and I dress to the right