Good ol' BSD vs. GPL

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Jan 5 13:38:24 PST 2015

It's worth pointing out for clarity that I wasn't rabbiting the point
used by the powerful to enclose commons, where regulation means
enclosure, but rather referring to enclosure itself as the tragedy.

I will happily read the directed Manifesto, thanks. But I think it's
also clear that commons are often abused, though the classical abuse
appears uncommon.. because unregulated commons simply collapse early.
Those that appear "unregulated" are more often regulated by social
structures; no less significant than threats of reprisal in the right
context!

However, online, we lack the means to enforce social censure
effectively, particularly against large enclosing actors.