Replacing email with XMPP...why not?

Cypher cypher@cpunk.us
Fri Jan 16 09:31:58 PST 2015

I've been reading a lot about the need to replace email and I'm not
quite sure why we're not moving to an XMPP based model. It seems
rather perfect for this kind of thing:

1. Federated
2. Users are already familiar with the addressing format
3. Easy to use, could easily integrate with existing email
4. Easily piped through Tor or i2p or whatever

Security could be handled by using OTR the first time users happen to
be on at the same time and exchanging PGP keys automagically with some
kind of validation that the user can actually understand in place.

I really don't see this as incredibly hard to build. Why are we not
seriously looking at it? Sure, it doesn't address meta-data (it
probably could though) but it's a step away from traditional email and
towards something new.

Thoughts?

Cypher