Bittorrent Mainline DHT and Tor

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey@cathalgarvey.me
Tue Jan 13 12:46:24 PST 2015

Hey all,
I'm aware that (for pretty good reasons) bittorrent is "blocked" by most
exits on Tor. However, I'm unsure how this blockage is implemented, and
it just emerged as a relevant item in my thought-process: the Bittorrent
"Mainline" DHT is not necessarily useful to Bittorrent alone, but is
frequently used as an experimental platform for other P2P applications.

Is the bittorrent DHT blocked by Tor exits, or just the Bittorrent
file-transfer protocol? If the latter, how is that block enacted when
most bittorrent apps support protocol obfuscation and dynamic ports?