Hackers can’t solve Surveillance

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Fri Feb 13 14:12:01 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:24:35PM +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> > >  communications. In order to achieve a society where we can expect privacy
> > >  we need more hackers and
>
> This appears utopia to me.
>
> We need more JUSTICE as well.

accountability i like. there's so much talk about transparency, but none about
accountability. i mean, transparency without accountability is like being
raped, when you have accountability that's like you have a chance to kick the
fucker in the balls. but transparency is like "enjoying" the "act" in the
mirror....

> There is a principle GIGO ~ Garbage In Garbage Out.

what does that principle tell us, and how is this relevant here?

> Last time I tried to explain to a sheeple she is a sheeple
> she asked something like "You crazy anti-establishment? I
> have loans to the bank to pay".

ah, the stockholm syndrome. i really like some research on psychological
effects on victims of blue collar crimes, and then published widely in msm (i
know another utopia, but then i'm writing mails not code). i have no clue but
if there is a research community around this topic, but it should be goldrush
times for them now. ;/

> > > hackerspaces to embrace the broader political
> > >  challenges of building a more equal society.
>
> I am a bit paranoid about HACKERSPACE, since likely the
> dear NSA might have infiltrated it.

well i believe this is a reference to maxigas' paper about the political and
social differences between hacklabs, hackerspaces and other
maker/fab/etc-labs. this is a bit in conflict with the opening argument
(medicines sans frontiers not healing the world, but it being a societal
responsibility) and here it the argumentation falls back to the "hackers have
to save us all". i agree with maxigas, hackerspaces should take more
responsibility though.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt