[cryptography] ODNI Counsel: Governments Want Accessible Crypto from Business

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Sun Feb 8 01:46:53 PST 2015

In this the USA (ODNI / NSA / three-letter thing) is no different than
Russian Federation or China (some latest China stories I've seen
floated to this group here):

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/security/chinas-new-rules-ask-tech-firms-to-hand-over-source-code

This all brings to mind some things I've pointed out in the past and
things that people have harped about endlessly but which have mostly
gone ignored:

Support (or help develop) open source hardware projects that strive to
create independence from the sort of things we are seeing in the
corporate realm in which USA / Russia / China "force" Microsoft and
other companies to backdoor their products.  As suggested in this Jan.
2, 2014 blog post...
https://odinn.cyberguerrilla.org/index.php/2014/01/02/opensourcebuildguide/

"– Support or develop open source processors. consider using the Open
Core project as a starting point
– Learn more about OpenRISC development, participate in discussion
about it
– Become part of, or create, open source collaborative efforts (some
examples: Open Source Initiative, Open Daylight, the Open Source
Hardware Association (OSHWA), Open Source Firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato), etc.)
– Make informed buying choices: Purchase new hardware (any computer
equipment, mobile included) only from sources that have committed to
open source development of that hardware. (...)"

Notes:

Popular Science on Tindie:
http://www.popsci.com/article/diy/rise-open-source-hardware

Novena open source laptop by Bunnie (on Sutajio Ko-usagi's page)
http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Novena_Main_Page
Met 280% of its funding goal in May of 2014 - see:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/novena-open-laptop-project-exceeds-280-percent-crowd-funding-target/77905.html

Bunnie's page http://www.bunniestudios.com/

grarpamp:

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2015/02/live-bob-litt-speaks-at-brookings-on-intelligence-and-surveillance-reform/

> They still haven't answered? that one simple question about how
> having *you* on their disks without a warrant specifically covering
> probable cause on *you* to put it there... is constitutional.

- --
http://abis.io ~
"a protocol concept to enable decentralization
and expansion of a giving economy, and a new social good"
https://keybase.io/odinn