[Cryptography] trojans in the firmware

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Fri Feb 20 14:36:55 PST 2015

On Feb 19, 2015, at 8:12 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> I would love to be able to program this device myself, instead of relying on Samsung's firmware.
>
> BTW, what's the point of AES encryption on this pre-p0wned device?  More security theatre?

NAND memory runs faster when the hamming weight of the data is approximately even between zeroes and ones. You can speed up NAND flash by running the data through a suitable whitening function.

AES is a great whitening function. If you then go to the extra effort to do key management, you have security. It's a simple matter of architecture and programming. :)

	Jon