Broad coalition pushes for Minnesota data privacy amendment

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:30:15 PST 2015

A move to change the Minnesota Constitution to protect text messages,
e-mails and other electronic data from warrantless searches is getting
enthusiastic support from a broad coalition of lawmakers and privacy
advocates, but could face roadblocks from key DFL Senate leaders.

The “My Life, My Data” movement would make Minnesota the second state
to amend its Constitution by adding the words “electronic
communications and data” to Section 10 of the document, which
guarantees “the right of the people to be secure in their persons,
houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and
seizures.” If approved, the amendment would appear on the November
2016 election ballot. A similar measure passed in Missouri last year
with 75 percent of voter support...

Continues at...
http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/292136831.html
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/02/18/0046200/mn-legislature-introduces-amendment-to-protect-electronic-communications