Security/Privacy Tradeoff - Dave DeWalt of Mandiant

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Feb 14 06:29:50 PST 2015

Well, it has been a generation since this standard business practice
was challenged. And then went to covert cooperation to placate consumer
anger. Why would a new generation not do the same as their mentors?

Even here, among hackers, in universities, in corporations, in government,
hats change colors, as heads and wallets and guts fatten.

Hellman has said he regrets releasing PKC, succumbing to a young
man's and scholar's desire for publicity over bland government secrecy.
Now thinks national security is bigger than individual desire. This is
the arc of maturity, especially from those who did gain publicity early
on and now welcome invitations to serve as official advisors.

Our cpunk heros Whit Diffie and David Wagner are serving as reviewers
for NSA best cybersecurity paper. Others are invited to NSA and Congress
to provide counsel to policymakers. Others peddle crypto to governments
and corporations as if RSA, Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, the AV
hustlers are the required standard of duplicity demanded by investors.